About Mould (and other biological threats) in the indoor environment.

Mould. Rodents. Pollen. Mosquitoes, ticks and other biting insects carrying disease. Dust mites. Cockroaches. Or at the bigger end of the scale, Bats, Dogs and Cats! These are some of the potential biological threats to our health that may be present in our indoor environment. But they can be assessed for harm and controlled, with help from Xtox.

Did you know that commonly, the musty smell that exudes from an environment infiltrated by mould is not specifically due to the mould spores. Rather, the “secondary metabolites” (or mycotoxic digestive gaseous outputs of the mould), and mycotoxins (toxic substances emitted from mould that sometimes serve in a species specific attack against another fungal species or other microbe), are potentially harmful exudates of fungus.

These mould emissions can be the source of adverse effects for humans that breath the various stenches that result from mould metabolism. The smell of “secondary metabolites” of mould can vary not only based upon the species of the organism in question, but also upon what it is that they are consuming.

Did you know that various forms of electromagnetic radiation can exacerbate the problem of mould by encouraging the growth of fungal organisms? The common frequencies used for WI-fi, Bluetooth, DECT (digital phones) and cellphones are NOT benign in this regard, and can work against your battle to remediate against a mould problem.

 

 

 

 

 There are at least 80-100,000 known and classified species of fungus on Earth, possibly 1.5-2.5 million unchartered species, 300 known to be pathogenic to humans, and at least 1000 different mycotoxins. These toxins have been shown to be carcinogenic, immunosuppressive, neurotoxic, cardiotoxic, hepatotoxic, lymphotoxic, or dermatotoxic, to name a few effects.1

 

Xtox has the technical capability to do some in-house mould microbial analysis. This may save you time and money, whilst giving you a closer insight into what might be happening in your environment. Swabs collected from strategically selected points in your environment are taken to our in-house laboratory for evaluation. We know how to select the sampling zones for utmost of efficiency in gauging the level of infiltration of mould into the environment. We also ascertain humidity and materials moisture content, as well as building/construction errors or failures, to determine what parts of your space are presenting an environment which encourages moulds to grow.

1 Cited by Dr. Doug Kaufmann, www.knowthecause.com

Other indoor biological threats

Regrettably, mould is not the only consideration that we must give to harmful biological substances in the indoor environment. The dander of rodents, for example, can be an invisible cause of allergic reactions and chronic illness. The odours emanated by such pests and their wastes can be infiltrating your home environment, whilst remaining hidden behind air ducts, gyprock walls and cabinets, in ceilings and other cavities, or unwantingly redirected to your living zones by heating/cooling and ventilation systems.

Pollens from outdoor flora may be of concern when they enter the indoor space. Biting insects and airborne disease vectors may present a particularly severe health threat and steps should be taken to control populations of dangerous species. Xtox has a variety of available strategies to deal with these issues–of course without using harmful, toxic products or practices.

A range of state-of-the-art devices or low-toxicity substances will shortly be listed here that will help to control biting insects such as mosquitos and midges, and/or repel them from living areas. The Xtox online shop is under construction.

If you have concerns about biological toxins that may be in your environment, or the need to control an existing problem, then please don’t hesitate to call Xtox today!

contact us

Health effects from exposures to molds in indoor environments can result from allergy, infection, mucous membrane and sensory irritation and toxicity alone, or in combination. Mycotoxins are nearly all cytotoxic, disrupting various cellular structures such as membranes, and interfering with vital cellular processes such as protein, RNA and DNA synthesis.

Dr. Harriet M. Ammann, Ph.D., D.A.B.T.

Senior Toxicologist, "Is Indoor Mold Contamination a Threat to Health?"

Various Symptoms of Mould Exposure

  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Aches
  • Muscle Cramps
  • Unusual Pain
  • Ice Pick Pain
  • Headache
  • Light Sensitivity
  • Red Eyes
  • Blurred Vision
  • Tearing
  • Sinus Problems
  • Cough
  • Shortness of Breath
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Joint Pain
  • Morning joint Stiffness
  • Memory Issues
  • Focus/Concentration Issues
  • Word Recollection Issues
  • Decreased Learning of New Knowledge
  • Confusion
  • Disorientation
  • Skin Sensitivity
  • Mood Swings
  • Appetite Swings
  • Sweats (especially night sweats)
  • Temperature Regulation or Dysregulation Problems
  • Excessive Thirst
  • Increased Urination
  • Static Shocks
  • Numbness
  • Tingling
  • Vertigo
  • Metallic Taste
  • Tremors
  • nausea
  • chronic fatigue
  • brain fog
  • fever
  • eye irritation
  • sneezing
  • skin rashes
  • mucous membrane irritation/inflammation
  • depression (sometimes very dark & sudden)
  • rage/anger

Sources:

Dr Jill Carnahan

Survivingmold.com